Letters from Kenny

A collection of thoughts and letters and poems written by Kenny...a 60's something retired Navy man with a Whirlwind for a wife.

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

How Do You Make A Memory

How Do You Make A Memory
By kenny merrell

How do you make a memory?
Was it in the fall?
When on bended knee
I asked, "Will you marry me?"
I can’t recall
I remember the wonder on your face
When you told me yes
The tears down your cheek
Making it difficult to express
This feeling deep inside

How do you make a memory?

When I stood at the altar
So many years ago
I wondered how to make a memory
I still don’t know
I counted your steps
As you walked down the aisle
I remember the flowers
Setting off your radiant smile
Were they Bluebonnets or Roses red?
I still haven’t a clue
Your face still shines before me
Is it really you?

How do you make a memory

On the birth of our first child
Was it early in the morning
Was the wind blowing wild
Or was it late at night
With weather cold and bright
I only remember your face ingrained
With such agony and pain
But in your eyes a glowing pride
Of having born our son.

How do you make a memory

The years we’ve shared as one
The times you’ve picked me up
When life has knocked me down
When I feel the care invested
The pride you have in me
Make me want to carry on

How do you make a memory?

When our souls leave this earthly plane
Will this memory remain
Or will it depart
As a thief in the dark
Leaving nothing to touch once more

What are memories for?

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary Lou said...

SNORF!!!! You made me cry!!!! Dont tell anyone, though, they'll think Im an old softie...cant have that!

August 10, 2004 at 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home